Fossil Fuel Map

Ambala, Haryana, India

Loading map...

Ambala is a vibrant city located in the northern state of Haryana, India. Situated on the border of the states of Punjab and Haryana, Ambala serves as a key transportation hub due to its strategic location on the Delhi-Chandigarh highway and the Delhi-Amritsar railway line. The city has a rich historical and cultural heritage, attracting both tourists and residents alike.

As of September 2021, Ambala had an estimated population of around 550,000 inhabitants. The city is divided into two main areas, namely Ambala Cantonment and Ambala City. Ambala Cantonment is known for its military significance, hosting various defense establishments, including the Indian Army's Western Command headquarters. Ambala City, on the other hand, is a bustling commercial and residential area with a mix of old and modern structures.

Like many cities in India, Ambala's energy dependency has traditionally been reliant on fossil fuels. The city has relied heavily on non-renewable sources such as coal, oil, and natural gas for its energy needs. However, due to increasing concerns about environmental degradation and the adverse effects of fossil fuel consumption, there have been efforts to transition towards cleaner and renewable energy sources.

Currently, it is estimated that around 70% of Ambala's energy usage is derived from fossil fuels, with the remaining 30% being contributed by renewable sources and other forms of energy. This heavy dependence on fossil fuels can be attributed to various factors, including the historical reliance on conventional energy sources, limited awareness about clean energy alternatives, and inadequate infrastructure for renewable energy generation and distribution.

However, recognizing the need to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the impacts of climate change, the government and local authorities in Ambala have started implementing initiatives to promote clean energy and sustainability. One of the key steps taken in this direction was the installation of solar power plants on public buildings and institutions. These solar installations aim to harness the abundant sunlight in the region and generate clean electricity.

Furthermore, there have been discussions and plans to establish wind farms in the surrounding areas of Ambala. With favorable wind patterns in the region, wind energy has the potential to contribute significantly to the city's energy mix. The government is actively encouraging public and private investments in renewable energy projects to diversify the energy portfolio and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

Additionally, awareness campaigns and educational programs have been initiated to educate the citizens about the benefits of clean energy and the importance of energy conservation. These efforts aim to change the habits and mindset of the people living in Ambala, promoting energy-efficient practices in households, businesses, and industries.

Ambala is also home to various industries, including manufacturing, textiles, and agriculture. The transition to cleaner energy sources in these sectors is a gradual process due to economic considerations and technological limitations. However, the government is working on providing incentives and subsidies to encourage industries to adopt renewable energy technologies and sustainable practices.

In terms of landmarks, Ambala boasts several notable attractions. The city is famous for the Ambala Cantt railway station, which is one of the oldest and busiest railway junctions in northern India. Another prominent landmark is the Ambala Air Force Station, an important military airbase located in the vicinity. The city also has historical sites like the Ambala Fort, which dates back to the Mughal era, and the Holy Redeemer Church, an architectural marvel known for its beautiful stained glass windows.